The KineOS 6.2 for TERRA 4K is with big performance improvement from 4K 100fps to?4K 160fps and from 2K 220fps to?2K 320fps. For MAVO LF and MAVO, KineOS 6.2 enables the side screen function to display key parameters and adds the 3K/4K outputs oversampled from?6K open gate, to make the 3:2?open gate shooting mode more economical and easier to use. In addition, the function of?countdown on power is introduced to protect camera body and footages. The new firmware also supports KineBACK-Lite and provides more accurate prediction on recording bitrate, and fixes bugs related to audio and cDNGs.
KineOS 6.2 is available for?MAVO LF, MAVO, TERRA 4K and even TERRA 6K, but not all new functions are applicable on every model.
1. TERRA 4K: 4K 160fps and 2K 320fps
The KineOS 6.2 for TERRA 4K with big performance improvement: From 4K 100fps to?4K 160fps! From 2K 220fps to?2K 320fps! Such high frame rate can be in-camera recorded as ProRes and cDNG to SSD.
- Open Gate: 4096×2700, 100fps;
- 4K&4K HD: 4096×2160/3840×2160, 125fps;
- 4K Wide: 4096×1720, 150fps;
- 4K HD Wide: 3840×1600, 160fps;
- 3K: 3072×1620, 160fps;
- 3K Wide: 3072×1200, 200fps;
- 2K&FHD: 2048×1080/1920×1080: 240fps;
- 2K Wide: 2048×860: 300fps;
- FHD Wide: 1920×800: 320fps.
All TERRA 4K can be updated to KineOS 6.2 free!
2. Status Panel
There is a high-res LCD screen at the?left side of MAVO LF and MAVO, but only?MAVO LF logo or MAVO logo is shown on the screen in?KineOS 6.1 and previous firmware. In new KineOS 6.2, the side screen displays the current key parameters, such as ISO, electronic aperture, shutter speed/angle, ND stops (if mounted with e-ND adapter), color temperature and other important parameters.
Note: The side screen is only used to display shooting parameters.
3. Countdown Protection
If the camera loses power during recording, the?SSD file system and footages may get damaged. In new KineOS 6.2, the camera detects the battery power constantly. Once the battery voltage is below the BAT warning voltage, the countdown function will start to work from 30. The camera will stop recording?automatically if the countdown happens during recording. When the countdown is within 10 seconds, the camera will disable all the functions and then shut down safely.
The lastest firmware also increases the funtion to disable “automatic shutdown” to smooth shooting works with 12V power supply.
Note: the warning threshold voltage can be set up a little bit to avoid fast power loss caused by aging?battery from improper shutdown of the camera.
4. Oversampling in Open Gate Mode
The aspect ratio of?open gate is 3:2 for MAVO LF, MAVO and TERRA 4K, and 3:2 aspect ratio is also popular by more and more users. For MAVO LF and MAVO, the open gate is 6Kx4K, 24 million pixels. Although the high-res recording brings more room for post work, the high bitrate will bring great pressure over SSD and reduce the choice of coding format. In new KineOS 6.2, in-camera oversampled open gate is introduced to MAVO LF and MAVO and all the 24M pixels are oversampled and output 4K 3:2 or 3K 3:2, so ProRes 4444 or even XQ can record full frame 3:2 image to bring more codec options.
5. Other New Functions
KineBACK Lite?brings a more convenient power solution to MAVO LF/MAVO/TERRA 4K, which is also supported by KineOS 6.2. In addition, for cDNG RAW, when choosing different compression ratios, KineOS 6.2 reduces the writing pressure on SSD through bitrate prediction according to resolution and frame rate.
6. Fix Bugs and Improve Stability
- Fix bug of audio recording in certain conditions;
- Fix bug involving booting and codes switching;
- Fix bug involving cDNG playback, improve its stability;
- Change the slate file name in clips folder;
- Add more information in the slate;
- Reduce some low resolutions for MAVO LF and MAVO;
- Increase frame rate to 48fps when 4K Anamorphic for MAVO;
- Some changes in menu;
- Some changes in font;
- Other issues.
Stability of this version: Evaluation.
Download MAVO LF firmware: MAVO LF KineOS6.2 firmware >
Download MAVO 6K firmware:?MAVO 6K KineOS6.2 firmware >
Download TERRA 4K firmware: TERRA 4K KineOS6.2 firmware >
Download TERRA 6K firmware: TERRA 6K KineOS6.2 firmware >
Instruction: download firmware to FAT/FAT32 USB stick; insert it to USB port of Kine camera; choose upgrade firmware as [Config–>system–>upgrade]. The update job is done about 15 minutes. It takes effect after reboot.
Note: upgrading the?firmware takes about 15 minutes, never lose power during the process, else it needs to be sent back for repair.
Black Balancing：recommended to do Black Balancing if camera is upgraded from 6.0 or previous version to KineOS 6.2, then:
- Press and release power button to turn on camera while hold Config button, then release Config button after three seconds. The camera will enter Calibration Mode;
- In Calibration Mode, use lens cover or mount cover to make sure image as totally black. Choose [Config–>System–>Black Balancing] to do Black Balancing, it may take five minutes;
- Must Reset to Factory Setting after black balancing done, then reboot camera.
Note: Please update the MAVO LF or MAVO Twice when update to KineOS 6.2 for the first time. For example, the first upgrade is from 6.112 to 6.2, and then update from 6.2 to 6.2. The side status LCD works after the upgrading two times.